When temperatures are low, like it has been early this November, the most important thing we want in our businesses and homes is for the furnace to work and keep us warm. Since the cold season has begun, it is important to check your appliances for carbon monoxide leaks.
In case you missed it, our friends at THV 11 covered a story about protecting your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. Middleton’s own General Service Manager Matt McElhaney was reported saying “You have to check those heaters every time you turn them on. Those who don’t, end up dealing with carbon monoxide leaks.”
Watch the coverage here:
Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a serious issue during the cold months. According to the Center for Disease & Prevention, there are over 20,000 emergency room visits,4,000 hospitalizations and 400 deaths each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Known as the silent killer, it is odorless and is typically hard to detect in a home. Here’s what you need to know: you may be at risk if your appliances run on gas.
If you believe anyone in your family has been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, please call the Arkansas Poison and Drug Information Center (APDIC) at 1-800-222-1222.